Re: Dumb question- do you absolutely need to record sounds at 'high'

Subject: Re: Dumb question- do you absolutely need to record sounds at 'high'
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Thu May 14, 2009 9:08 am ((PDT))
<<Makes me wonder how we ever managed to edit anything before being
able to see the waveform.
I don't find using my ears to establish the edit point tedious, its
the best way to judge the quality of the edit.>>

I spent 25 years editing analog tape on a daily basis with razor
blades, making 1/16" cuts, etc, so I know all about pre-digital
editing, & I assure you I used my eyes back then too. That's what the
China marker was for, to see & confirm the location for the cut. Low
speed scrubbing on analog machines was far better than the digital
implementation. When you need to cut a tick lasting mere microseconds,
& it has no visible vertical excursion due to an overly low level
recording, that is tedious. Often I redraw the waveform to fix these
issues. How do you do that by ear, without seeing the waveform?

Scott Fraser