Re: [Nature Recordists] Recording Levels

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Recording Levels
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Friday, May 8, 2009, 12:09 PM

Mike--
If you are curious about whether there's enough "saturation" in the
quiet location digital recordings you care making with this setting,
there a way to find out. Pick a file with a very quiet background,
open it in your waveform editor, select a small portion that is only
background sound and measure the peak level. If the saturation is at
least -55 dB (based on typical 96db full scale displays) then the
record level you are using should not produce any quantizing noise
with a 16 bit recording. (To be clear, the peak for the background
only needs to be -55 dB or a number of smaller value with a negative
sign). The tolerance is greater for a 24 bit recording.

Some people argue that some sounds become harsher when digitally
amplified a great deal (opposed to gain boosts on the order of 10-20
dB). How much gain one typically uses with one's field recordings
might be something else to consider. To test this, play back some
music on your speakers and set the level to a comfortable level. Play
back some soft recordings and see how many dB you boost them in order
to get a level you like. If its more than 24dB, you might consider
increasing your sound file saturation in the field unless you often
encounter loud transient peaks in the environments where you record.
Rob D.