Re: Help with a Sony HI-MD recorder.

Subject: Re: Help with a Sony HI-MD recorder.
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue May 5, 2009 11:50 pm ((PDT))
Hi Paul--
Sorry to hear of your lost recordings. I appreciate that you are
forward-looking and want to know what you can do to avoid such issues
in the future.  Shows that you are serious about your recording
efforts.

I taught Hi-MD in classes for several years and compiled likely
problems and suggestions in this handbook:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/116/Hi-MD-Handbook/06116-HiMD-Hndbk.htm

which is also on pdf:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/116/Hi-MD-Handbook/06116-HiMD-Hndbk.pdf

And there's a HiMD tips page that linked on this page:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/HiMD/index.htm

The number one cause of disc reading problems, which seems to be
consistent with your experience, is lost or low power during
recording. The recorders do not seem to reserve enough power to
close-out the disc directory under some conditions before going into
shut-down mode. I suggest using a battery sled like John Hartog's
mentioned and linked on the Tips page. You want to provide it with
surplus power.

There are quite a few other precautions that seem to pay off that are
mentioned in the manual. And, if these are not enough :-X, there are
many in the Hi-MD forum:
http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showforum=3D34

Its painfully ironic that a recorder with good electronics at a good
price comes with so many "gotchas." You can avoid most of them most
of the time, but it will take some reading and practice. Try out the
battery pack and the other tips at home a few times recording nothing
of importance before heading out for more survey work. I can tell by
the thoroughness of your report that you have the required patience,
you just need the benefit of knowing the work-arounds. Rob D.