Re: [Naturerecording] Rain Protection Question

Subject: Re: [Naturerecording] Rain Protection Question
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:09 am ((PDT))
Same to you, Volker.

Interesting to look at. Both designs seem like they would be useful
accessories to put on for a brief time during a shoot. The
concept/construction behind the Rycote is clearer to me which makes
me a little more confident.

I'm always interested in people's approaches as my permanent, outdoor
rigs require very effective rain protection. At this point in my
experiments, I'm mentally separating two needs: #1 Keeping water from
blowing-in sideways and striking the mic capsules and #2 Reducing or
eliminating rain sounds. #1 is highest priority but, obviously, the
solution for #2 needs to play a  support role.  The material used to
address #1 can be a few inches away.  A "basket," whether covered
with fake fur, nylon, open cell foam or other typical sound
transparent materials will intercept the water drops. Its best if the
material sheds water quickly, but if the wind is not driving really
hard, most of the "dead space" wind-protection systems we use should
work fine. I couldn't find enough nylon to cover a large rig a few
weeks ago and used burlap-- which is supposed to be the most sound
transparent of all materials,..

http://tinyurl.com/codkyt

I'll get around to changing the material to nylon but the burlap has
not failed thus far.

All of the sound "deadening" solutions I've tried work much better
when the diffusing material (hogs hair, floor sanding pads, old
carpet, etc) is far away. Nylon tent material is a pretty good
water-shedding, sound transparent material to place under the
diffusing material.  As John and I discussed, the nylon needs to be
very taught to prevent continual flapping in the wind and this
requires opportunely placed trees or some sizeable posts driven into
the ground. For winds up to 30-40 mph, something on the order of 4' X
4' placed 2' above the rig seems like a good size/arrangement. Rob D.