Re: Zoom H4n just arrived

Subject: Re: Zoom H4n just arrived
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:47 am ((PDT))
<<I second Scott's observation. Happens quite a lot for me with large
condenser mics-- even with a SD 744's phantom. Not just cheap mics
either. It can also take longer than 10 minutes for the mics to
completely settle down. There must be an electronic explanation,
perhaps something regarding the stability of the charge on the
capsules. Rob D.>>

Additionally, the 48 volt Phantom source is derived from the battery
supply in these type of device via a voltage multiplier circuit. This
may take some time in the Zoom unit to get fully stabilized. What I
hear in a mic which is adjusting to the inrush of Phantom power when
first turned on is usually low rumbly thumps, though. Whistles
generally occur when turning Phantom power off.

Scott Fraser