Re: Recording a saw-whet owl

Subject: Re: Recording a saw-whet owl
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:09 am ((PDT))
Hi David,

All I can offer are obvious suggestions - like scouting for trails or roads=
 in the daylight. Finding a good vantage near where you have previously hea=
rd it calling from and waiting there for it to make its rounds. If you have=
 the gear to do it, a less directional array left to record unmanned might =
prove more productive.

John Hartog

--- In  "dlsbmartin11" <> wr=
ote:

> I've been trying to record a Northern Saw-whet Owl for the past couple of=
 weeks. The bird moves around and has not called near my location which see=
ms to be close to the middle of its territory.  All I have so far are low-l=
evel recordings.  Does anyone have any experience or ideas on how to improv=
e the chances of getting close -- in thick woods in the dark?