Ultrasonic Field Recording Advice

Subject: Ultrasonic Field Recording Advice
From: "babyhead7" babyhead7
Date: Sat Mar 7, 2009 12:36 pm ((PST))
Hi All,

I am a professional contemporary artist and am currently researching the
prospects and possibilities of creating translative recordings that initiate
trans/cross species interaction and dialogue between animals, humans, and now
all of the sudden plants as well...!

I recently read the article on Bernie Krause posted on eMusician where he
placed a hydrophone in a cottonwood tree and recorded the sounds of the tree at
70 khz..  here is a link to the article:

http://emusician.com/daw/emusic_going_wild/

So I am looking for recommendations and suggestions for field recorders that
can record up to 192 khz, and microphones and piezo elements that can capture
these higher frequencies.

I have seen the Fostex FR 2, the Edirol R-44 and R-4 Pro, the Studio Devices
702, Tascam HD-P2, and the stuff from Avisoft  (Raimund.. I noticed your name
pops up on the Avisoft site, perhaps you might be able to help.)

Also, as an artist I am always on a budget as grant money is somewhat thin and
competitive these days, and I am not afraid of DIY projects.. I would love to
spend a bunch of money at Avisoft, but that is currently way out of my price
range.

Would it be easier to do this in Analog?

I thought I'd ask you guys for some input before I got in touch with Bernie.

Best,

Rimas Simaitis