3. Re: Marantz PMD661, Olympus LS-10, Sony MZ-RH1 Self-Noise TicToc Tes

Subject: 3. Re: Marantz PMD661, Olympus LS-10, Sony MZ-RH1 Self-Noise TicToc Tes
From: "justinasia" justinasia
Date: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:49 pm ((PST))
> The number of relevant comparison tests on the newest recorders is
> quite limited (most testers use noisy mcs and/or low pre gain). As a
> result, we are forced to recommend the Fostex FR2-LE because its
> still the only, known, lower-cost recorder with pres quiet enough for
> mics with the lowest self-noise ratings.

Hi Rob
I have benefited greatly by all these comparison tests and everyone's
advice. Many thanks. One thing that surprised me is the lack of
comparison tests for modded products. I have decided finally on the
Oade "super mod" for the FR2-LE. It's said to be quieter and better
than the original. Doug Oade also likes the Marantz PMD 620. I had
discounted that originally (for a small recorder choice) based on its
poor noise rating from the Avisoft comparison chart. But Doug says
with his "super mod" it is quieter than the LS-10, and he much prefers
it perhaps for other reasons too, to the LS-10. So these 2 items made
the best sense to me for larger and smaller recorders. Hopefully I'm
making the right decision. If the info on them is correct, I am
surprised that they are not more popular with the nature recording
community, and can't quite understand why there are no comparison
tests for them.

Justin