1. Re: Marantz PMD661, Olympus LS-10, Sony MZ-RH1 Self-Noise TicToc Tes

Subject: 1. Re: Marantz PMD661, Olympus LS-10, Sony MZ-RH1 Self-Noise TicToc Tes
From: "Bruce" natureguyusa
Date: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:52 am ((PST))
Thanks for the file post Tom as I have been very interested in how
the PMD661 works. I worked on the file a little to try to normalize
the Tic Tocs and applied a rumble filter. With this done, the middle
recording, the PMD661 is actually lower noise by 2-4dB. It seems the
PMD661 has better low frequency response.

I have a suggestion for future tests. If we want to test a new unit's
noise level, wouldn't it be best to terminate the input with a 150
ohm resister with the gains normalized first with a reference signal
at the input? The recording can then be graphed by frequency and
amplitude in a program like Adobe Audition. When a mic is added it
seems we are testing the microphone noise level more than the unit.
Any microphone should have much higher noise level than any descent
input amplifier. The noise of a variable test environment and
variable set-up sounds would greatly effect the test results from
person to person, and over time. Maybe I am missing the point of
these tic toc tests? I realize they have value and are helpful but I
really want to know the noise performance of a unit in numbers and
graphs, rather than listening to different effects of mic noise, when
making a purchasing decision.

Bruce Rutkoski
www.natureguystudio.com