Re: Zoom H4n

Subject: Re: Zoom H4n
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:05 am ((PST))
> The H4n is smaller in all dimensions than the
> recently announced Marantz PMD661.

I noticed that the Zoom H4n dimensions and weight are almost
identical to the Sony PCM-D50.

Zoom H4n    156 x 70 x 35 mm,  336 g w/ 2 AA cells

Sony PCM-D50  155 x 72 x 33 mm,  365 g w/ 4 AA cells

The H4n's 35 mm thickness makes room for XLR connectors, while
the Sony's thickness is needed to hold four AA cells.

I'll be surprised if the H4n can record for more than 4 hours while
providing 48V phantom power.  But that would be enough for most
recording sessions.

Zoom offers the RC4 wired remote control for the H4n.  The RC4 allows
more complete control over recording than most remotes do, offering
record start and stop, adjustment of volume for recording and
playback, choice of 3 inputs, and stop/start/fast-forward/rewind for
playback.  Cost is about $30 USD.  Here's a photo:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-ZOO-RC4

--oryoki