Re: (was LS-10 compared) oade super mod marantz pmd620

Subject: Re: (was LS-10 compared) oade super mod marantz pmd620
From: "grant finlay" grantfinlay
Date: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:34 pm ((PST))
Justin,
I have a Oade super-mod marantz pmd620 and am very happy with it!
The only hiccup with my unit is that you need to push the stop button
twice in order to write the header information on the file. (found
that out the hard way on a 3 hour recording...) And yes it does
happen with all versions of the software, even the latest. The other
pain is that no header is written if your unit turns off while
recording but thats easily fixed using  Sound Devices "wave agent"
program.
My (DSE brand) NiMH 2500mAH  rechargable batteries last around 4.5 -
5hrs  and I currently have several Panasonic SDHC cards @ 8G & 6G
that run with no problems. (One Gig per hour runtime @ 44.1khz/24bit.)

Noise wise the marantz appears to be quiet enough but I am using one
of the best portable mixers money can buy in combination with a
neumann rsm191 stereo mic. Noise wise the RSM mic can't compete with
the Sennheiser MKH series but for me I love the detail and smoothness
of the RSM "sound" , it's just a matter of taste...

Okay I know these are only mp3's but the following all used the same
mic and mixer combo:
http://www.sqn.co.uk/old/n4s/SQN4S.html
http://www.neumann.com/?
lang=3Den&id=3Dcurrent_microphones&cid=3Drsm191_description

The Oade marantz has a great sense of depth and a wide soundstage for
nature recording:
(approx 80dB gain on mixer)
http://grantfinlay.podomatic.com/entry/2009-01-26T21_11_10-08_00
http://grantfinlay.podomatic.com/entry/2008-12-16T16_10_36-08_00

And for comparison these files were recorded on a sony D8 portadat:
(approx 60dB gain on mixer)
http://grantfinlay.podomatic.com/entry/2008-12-04T17_18_55-08_00
http://grantfinlay.podomatic.com/entry/2008-07-08T18_22_46-07_00

These ones straight into a SD744t , no SQN Mixer:
(max gain on SD744t)
http://grantfinlay.podomatic.com/entry/2007-11-20T22_20_08-08_00
http://grantfinlay.podomatic.com/entry/2007-11-20T18_56_18-08_00

Anyway, these are just some examples that I hope give you an idea of
what can be achieved with the marantz super mod with some real world
comparisons. I have many more recordings using the marantz but
haven't got around to putting them on my site yet. Feel free to
contact off list if you want to hear more.

Regards,
Grant Finlay.
http://grantfinlay.podomatic.com

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: