Re: [Nature Recordists] Nady DMP-2 phantom mic preamp

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Nady DMP-2 phantom mic preamp
From: Rob Danielson <>
Justin--
Except for the Sound Device products, none of the external mic pres
you mention are as quiet as the mic pre that is built into the Sony
PCM D50. The next step-up in noise performance would probably be the
Fostex FR2-LE. Using an external pre and line input to improve
performance is an approach better suited for an existing recorder
with a noisy pre. A good, used external stereo mic pre with phantom
power is about the same price as a new Fostex and all you gain is
bulk. Rob D.