1. Re: Nady DMP-2 phantom mic preamp

Subject: 1. Re: Nady DMP-2 phantom mic preamp
From: "justinasia" justinasia
Date: Sun Feb 1, 2009 3:47 am ((PST))
Hi Paul
I found this mail you sent last year. I wanted to ask you offlist but
could not find how to mail you directly. I hope it's OK to ask on the
list like this. I put my question below:

--- In  Paul Slabaugh <>
> You ask, do I need pre-amps. Yes, I want line level to avoid the mic
pre's in my Sony PCM D50 ...though their circuit noise has a smooth
far off ocean quality, it is very much there at high recording
settings. Clean line levels would bump up that S/N ratio.  That is why
 I am returning a $300 (overpriced!) BeachTek dual phantom xlr box
because it is passive ...no amplification. I just want clean
amplification ...seems that paying extra mostly gets you extra non
essential fluff on these devices. Until you pay enough for marketing
fluff AND good circuit (Shure's or Sound Designs) the important specs
just aren't that great.  I'd be happy with a clean circuit in a rusty
can ...hobbyists build such circuits fairly cheap. This new recorder I
have takes care of the extras like limiting tremendously well as it
simultaneously records lower level  tracks and instantly uses them if
things get loud.

> I just want a hole in...clean amp... hole out ! ...will keep looking.

Did you ever find one? I am also thinking of getting the D50 so I am
interested about this.

Thanks
Justin