Re: sub zero

Subject: Re: sub zero
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:03 am ((PST))
At 5:46 AM +0000 1/25/09, corthner wrote:
>I had my SD702 out in -33C for 3 hours with no ill effects. Your hard
>drive maybe of worry, but I am no expert on their capabilities in cold
>weather. I did take the precaution of wrapping my recorder up in
>plastic when I brought it in from the cold to prevent condensation
>from forming on the recorder. After a couple of hours it came back up
>to room temperature.

Excellent suggestion and its okay to bring it directly inside if its
still warm.

It will operate at much lower temps than SD states, just keep it
rolling. Ideally, when recording, surround it with some insulation to
retain enough heat to keep the unit toasty without becoming hot. At
-10F, a nylon fanny pack with 1" thick foam on three sides of the
unit with the zipper cracked a bit is usually about right. If you are
relying on an external battery, keeping it warm will increase its
output. Rob D.