Re: Regarding the new post I made.

Subject: Re: Regarding the new post I made.
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:18 am ((PST))
At 1:07 PM +0000 1/17/09, Phil Tyler wrote:
>Several people seem to have taken offence at me posting that news
>item. I outline below my reasoning of why I posted it to the group.
>
>If you carry out a search of the e-mail group for snowmobiles it
>returns 41 results. Likewise if you do a search for 'impact of noise'
>it returns something like 165 results. The theme of these posts? The
>impact noise will have on certain animals the environment and its
>soundscape we are recording.
>The reason I posted that news was exactly the same the impact that
>legislation will have on the Arctic soundscape.
>Martyn Stewart has mentioned on a number of occasions on this group
>that some of his recordings are of what is now an 'extinct
>environment'! So as a group which seems to show some concern for what
>it is trying to record I posted that news for what it was.
>Information that the Arctic 'soundscape' was going to be under attack
>from noise. Be it, oil exploration, hunters chasing wolves in
>helicopters, or people out on snowmobiles, or what ever they seem fit
>to throw at it with scant regard. Therefore as this group had shown
>an interest on the effect 'noise' will have on the environment in the
>past I posted that news item. If that was wrong then I am sorry,
>again, that I got it wrong.
>I thought it was better to bring attention to the plight of the
>Arctic before it too becomes an extinct 'soundscape' and all we have
>left of it are some recordings and a few photo's.
>
>Phil
>
>(While writing this my computer had one of those
>inexplicable 'moments' they seem to suffer with. So if a post from me
>appears with no subject it was probably my first attempt at this
>before the computer did its thing.

Hi Phil et al--
It seems very acceptable to point out policy decisions that have
sound pollution ramifications.  My suggestion in crafting such posts
is to not use "forward button text" but to write your own
observation/interpretation and include a link for readers who are
interested in pursuing the connections. I don't think people are
criticizing your "on topic" intentions at all

I feel its not just about "topic." Any uses of the list that appear
to publicize or promote (regardless of cause) tend to render some
negative reaction whether we read about it or not.   Rob D.