Re: Zoom H4n at NAMM 15th Jan

Subject: Re: Zoom H4n at NAMM 15th Jan
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Thu Jan 8, 2009 4:15 pm ((PST))
I took a minute to look at the H4n at the NAB show today.  The H4n
retains the overall size of the H4, but shows several important upgrades.

-- The mic capsules at the top of the recorder overlap in X-Y
configuration.  By rotating the barrel of the capsule, you can choose
a 90 degree or 120 degree angle between the capsules to narrow or
widen the stereo field. (I didn't test to hear this effect.)  The
performance of the H4n mic capsules is claimed to be superior to the
mics in the H4.

-- The pair of XLR inputs at the base of the recorder can be used for
mic or line input (not just mic input as in the H4).  The XLR inputs
can provide 48V phantom power, according to the sales literature.

-- The H4n can record four mic inputs simultaneously (the two built-in
X-Y capsules, and two mics attached to the XLR inputs).

-- The mic preamps are supposed to be an improvement over those in the
the H4.

-- The menu system has been redesigned with simplicity in mind.  The
original H4 menu was overly complicated.

-- The LCD display is larger and has higher contrast than the original
H4's display.

-- The H4n has a small speaker built into the back of the recorder.

-- Battery life has been improved.  Zoom claims up to 10 hours of
recording in "stamina mode" from the 4 AA cells.

-- The recorder digitizes four channels at rates up to 24/96.  The
resulting files are stored on SDHC flash cards.

-- The recorder case is strengthened. The body sides have a rubber
coating for shock resistance, and the mic capsules are held in a  cast
metal mount.  These changes make the H4n slightly thicker and wider
than the H4.

-- In the hand, the H4n felt perhaps 80 g heavier than the H4.

I was told by the Zoom staff that the H4n would appear in retail
outlets by early March. MSRP is $499, but I was told that the typical
retail price would be $350.

--oryoki