7. Re: Mono v. Stereo

Subject: 7. Re: Mono v. Stereo
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Fri Jan 2, 2009 1:24 am ((PST))
John Hartog wrote:

> Perhaps for listening purposes alone.  However, for observing,
> documenting, and studying an animal within its surroundings, spacial
> information provided by stereo might be desired.  If in addition an
> on-axis species recording is needed, it should not matter if the
> subject is not centered between the speakers.
>
> In your initial responses you suggested stereo recording for
> scientific work was not feasible. I am just pointing out it is
> perfectly feasible, and not all that complicated.
>
> Multi-channel surround recordings also hold their place in scientific
> analysis when the extra steps can be justified to solve front to back
> folding issues inherent to stereo.
>
> You have made it clear that mono is standard for the type of work you
> are involved with. I hear nothing wrong in your mono examples on your
> website, you do very fine work -- your efforts are commendable.
> Furthermore you are a very much appreciated resource to the nature
> sound recording community. Thank you for all that.
>

> John Hartog

Hello John,

Thanks for your kind words.

I believe that we should leave it to the researchers themselves
whether they should use stereo or not. They probably do not need our
instructions.

Regards,
Raimund

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: