5. Re: Mono v. Stereo

Subject: 5. Re: Mono v. Stereo
From: "Syd Curtis"
Date: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:44 pm ((PST))
Hi John,

        Thanks for the comment.  I can certainly get a stereo mic just as
close to the lyrebird - whatever mic I use needs to be concealed in the
adjacent vegetation and with 50 metres or so of cable back to where I can
conceal myself.  With the exception of one individual, the lyrebirds I study
will not tolerate a human within sight.

However, I can be quite certain that I will not in future be needing to
consider the surrounding sounds.  Whether with mono or stereo, they won't be
recorded.  Some of the lyrebird's mimicry is very soft, but the territorial
songs are extremely loud: on one quiet morning I heard the territorial songs
of a bird whose precise location I knew to be 1.5 km from me.  So with the
recording level low enough not to overload such a song 2 metres away, I'm
certainly not going to get any recording of the local ambience.  With my
analogue recorders, I had to make a choice: overload the territorial songs
or miss the softest notes.  My Tascam digital recorder copes.  (I haven't
invested in any of the marvellous new recorders discussed on Nat/recs.)

Syd