Re: [Nature Recordists] new member on a budget

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] new member on a budget
From: Sean Farrell <>
When I first started the idea of tape recording audio, I was using a microc=
assette recorder and the internal microphone. That's when I knew I liked au=
dio recording. The quality wasn't great but its the best I had at the time =
and it wasn't even mine.

It would be a shame for you to waste money on something you don't enjoy. A =
better camera does not make you a better photographer and better cooking pa=
ns does not make you a chef. Here's an article on why your camera does not =
matter: http://www.kenrockw ell.com/tech/ notcamera. htm
I'm sure we can draft a similar document for audio recorders as well.
I would never spend $5 on ballet shoes because I would never enjoy it there=
fore better ballet shoes for $1000 would not make me like it any more.

I recommended  the 09HR because it has internal microphones and its pretty =
durable. It is true there is handling noise but that is expected since the =
microphones are built into the recorder. If you want something a little che=
aper, I would recommend a HI MD recorder which can be found for ~$150 and p=
rovided 16/44.1 audio quality recordings. The only thing with the MD record=
er is that you'll have to get external microphones since it does not have o=
nes built in.

Just my thoughts.

Peace,
Sean