Re: Sound Devices and Solid State Drives

Subject: Re: Sound Devices and Solid State Drives
From: "Laloux, Dominique" lalouxd
Date: Tue Dec 9, 2008 4:46 am ((PST))

        -----Original Message-----
From:
 On Behalf Of oryoki2000
        Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 4:23 AM
        Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: Sound Devices and Solid State
Drives

        I, too, thought solid state drives (SSDs) would help the battery
last
        longer. However, the inexpensive SSDs used in small notebook
        computers don't seem to improve battery life much at all,
compared to
        the mechanical hard drives typically used in notebooks and Sound
        Devices products.

        Over the years, hard drive technology has been tuned and tweaked
        reduce power consumption. Hard drives are very efficient when
        sequentially writing data to the disc, as would be the case when
        you're recording audio.

        I think engineers will find ways to reduce SSD power use as time
        passes, too. For example, the new version of Microsoft Windows
        (Windows 7) is supposed to have features that help SSDs save
power.

        If SSDs and hard drives use the same power, it seems logical
that they
        will produce about the same amount of heat during operation. I
have
        not read any reports that verify this, however.

        My gut feeling is that SSDs would prove to be more reliable if
your
        recorder was bouncing around in the back of a Land Rover for
hundreds
        of kms of African roads. But I have to acknowledge that small
hard
        drives are durable, too. Millions of music players like the
original
        iPod live happily in children's school bags. So it's hard to
give
        much advantage to SSDs in terms of reliability when switched
off.

        I can think of two ways that SSDs have the advantage. First, the
SSD
        performs better when operating in the presence of strong
vibration.
        Hard drives don't handle vibration well at all. Even recording
while
        walking with the recorder can be more than a hard drive can
handle.

        Second, the SSD is not affected by altitude. Hard drive
manufacturers
        warn that their products should not be used above 3000 meters /
10,000
        feet elevation. I know that people do record at high elevation
        without damaging their hard drive, but it's living on borrowed
time.

        SSDs certainly come in second to hard drives when considering
the
        price per megabyte of storage. Flash memory has come down in
price to
        the point where the cost is $2 per gigabyte. But hard drives
cost
        less than $0.25 per gigabyte.

        Personally, I don't have a need to carry 80 GB or 160 GB of
recordings
        around inside my recorder. I'm satisfied with a couple of 4 or 8
GB
        flash cards for a day's worth of recording.

        --oryoki