Re: Jecklin disk windscreen material?

Subject: Re: Jecklin disk windscreen material?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:46 am ((PST))
At 2:00 PM +0000 11/29/08, jeswa wrote:
>Hi all,
>I made this Jecklin disk
><<http://picasaweb.google.com/jjjjjjk/JecklinDisk#>http://picasaweb.google=
.com/jjjjjjk/JecklinDisk#>
>out of a piece of
>thin marine-grade plywood and the pick-n-pluck padding from a pelican
>case, it took me all of an hour and it sounds great. It's closer to the
>shape of a human head (similar to the angles of the Neumann dummy head)
>while still respecting the Jecklin concept of space between the mic and
>the foam surface. So far, I'm very happy with my recordings & my Jecklin
>disk still keeps my mics nice and safe inside of their pelican case.
>
>These pics are from a year ago, and the setup has changed a bit, but I'm
>still using it with the same mics, the Beyerdynamic MC930's, with great
>results. We use Sanken's and DPA's as well, but the Beyers constantly
>impress me. I'm surprised I never hear anyone mention them.

Hi Jeswa--
Thanks for sharing the photos. True, the Beyers are not mentioned
that often. I have some small Beyer electret lavs I used for
recording in loud settings with good results for a couple of years.

The high self-noise rating of the 930's [signal-to-noise ratio of 71
dB or self-noise of ~23 dB(A)] might not make them an ideal
investment for nature recording considering their relatively high
price. Manufacturer's numbers can differ from field results though.

To get an idea of the role of noise performance, you might be able to
to go to a quiet location and listen to the noise difference between
the 930's and the DPA 4017 which are spec'd with  14 dB(A) self-noise.

>Anyway, I'm wondering what kind of wind-resistant fabric I should use to
>wrap the whole rig with? I've heard that light 4-way stretch fleece
>works and is for the most part, sonically neutral. Maybe there's a more
>professional solution? I know Telinga sells a windscreen wrap for their
>parabolics, anyone know what it's made of? I just wanted to ask around
>before I go sifting through bins of women's leggings at my local
>department store.

For wind protection, I'd go with the stand-by material-- fake fur--
long pile on thin backing that one can see through. There's lots of
discussion about sources for the material in the list archive.
http://tinyurl.com/5nd4rv  or
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=3Dfak=
e+fur&submit=3DSearch!&idxname=3Dnaturerecordists&max=3D20&result=3Dnormal&=
sort=3Dscore
Rob D.