Best "all purpose" mic setup for under $400

Subject: Best "all purpose" mic setup for under $400
From: "jcrichardson30360" jcrichardson=
30360
Date: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:20 am ((PST))

I tried looking in the archives with minimal success, so please no flames.

I am an audio editor/sound designer, and recently have gotten into recordin=
g my own
atmos and sfx for specific shows rather than use the same old stock library=
 SFX. I initially
started with the studios Tascam HD-P2 teamed up with a single Audio Technic=
a AT815b,
but was tired of having to keep borrowing it.

I got an M-Audio MicroTrack 2 because of it's ultra portability, digital in=
 etc, and was
wanting users opinions on a "general" mic setup (I know, mics are like came=
ra lenses
where each one does a specific job) for under $400.

Keep in mind I'm not expecting to get the quality that Ben Burt does, but j=
ust getting my
feet wet in a "hobiiest" style setup. Would you guys suggest a single stere=
o mic ala an
Audio Technica AT822/AT825, or a couple of omni condensers on a stereo mic =
bar, or
even potentialy getting a second AT815b to pair up with the one I already h=
ave access to.

I was hoping to tap into the diverse knowledge base that this group has so =
I can weigh my
different options, realizing that this rig is just my first "toe in the wat=
er" of field recording.

Thanks in advance!!

J.C.