Re: pressure build-up ring

Subject: Re: pressure build-up ring
From: "David Kuhn" dkuhn012001
Date: Sun Nov 9, 2008 7:22 pm ((PST))
Hi recordists, I'm extending this thread to show results of using the
Sennheiser Pressure Buildup Ring on MKH20's to record Hawaiian Hoary
Bat sounds. Here is the file I posted to the list,  a screen shot of
spectral view. I was unable to upload the .wav file as I could not
reduce it to mp3 48Khz without losing the HF stuff, and the .wav file
is too fat at 96KHz sample rate.

http://tinyurl.com/5vnzfn

And accompanying text--

Hawaiian Bat Lasiurus cinereus semotus (subsp of Hoary Bat) recorded
with MKH20 Mod SASS into MixPre, SD702,  32 bit 96KHz; seconds 1-3 is
as recorded, showing echolocating calls 25-40 KHZ; seconds 4-36 are
those sounds lowered in pitch as shown, using Audition Pitch Bender;
Seconds 38-40 as recorded adding Pressure Buildup Ring, again 25-40
KHZ; Then again pitch lowered as shown.

And here is the mp3 of the pitch-lowered files.

http://tinyurl.com/59e24h

I perceive no difference between with and without the PB Rings--good
data up to over 40 KHz. To apply them I pushed the mic's forward from
the SASS body about 1.5 inches, then slipped the rings on. All
recordings were with the SASS tripod mounted with 15 foot extension--
the bats came very close to check it out.

Bill Rainey what do you make of the sound at 30 sec on the Mp3? Some
kind of social call?

Thanks for any comments or suggested technique improvements. As this
is an endangered subspecies this work may be valuable sometime.

Aloha,
David

--- In  Martyn Stewart <>
wrote:

> The modified SASS that Walt made would probably not work because
of
> the diameter of the machined holes, The mics don't protrude enough
> from the SASS, I don't think you can push the 20's far enough out
> place the rings on.
>
> Worth a try though! Remember to up the sample rate to 96k when
using
> the ring...
>

> Martyn
> *************************************
> Martyn Stewart
> http://www.naturesound.org
>
> Redmond  WA
> 425-898-0462
>
> 47.65420118705451
> -121.98158740997314
>
> Make every garden a wildlife habitat
> **************************************
> Listen to the Birds and the Bees at
> http://naturesound.libsyn.org/
> View a Nature Recordists Blog!
>
> http://naturesound.blogspot.com/
>
> http://naturesound.org/Copyright.html
>
> On Oct 21, 2008, at 8:27 PM, David Kuhn wrote:
>
> > So it is Martyn, right there new in the box, thanks. Do you, or
does
> > anyone know, if the ring would work with the MKH in a Walt-mod
SASS?