Re: Snowmobiles in Y-stone - the latest round

Subject: Re: Snowmobiles in Y-stone - the latest round
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Sun Oct 5, 2008 10:19 am ((PDT))
You're not missing anything, Cynthia. There are over 2000 miles of
snowmobile trails just outside West Yellowstone (the western entrance
to Y-stone) open to the public in national forest land. Riders can go
as fast as they want, drink as much as they want, wrap themselves
around as many trees as they want (assuming they don't first run into
the relatively few rangers now employed by the Interior Dept to
monitor safe activities in their respective jurisdictions).
Yellowstone is thought by some to be a special place, one protected
for wildlife and the enjoyment of those who want to experience what
the park sounds, smells, feels like in winter. The sound and
pollution of snowmobiles obliterates that experience to a degree
beyond the rational. However, the western mindset of some (like the
Wise Use group) believe that since the National Parks are public
property, they should be able to do whatever the hell they want on
public lands since they're contributing to it through their taxes.
Because of limited access of trails and roads in Yellowstone, and
given the topography especially in winter, it is very, very difficult
to get away from the noise. When we did the snowmobile study in
2001-2, we recorded snowmobiles (4-stroke engines) 8 miles away off
the main roads.

Bernie Krause

On Oct 5, 2008, at 9:56 AM, Cynthia wrote:

> Hi everyone. Is the thought that it is undesired to have
> snowmobiles in Yellowstone? I ask because here in Minnesota we have
> designated snowmobile trails and it seems to work out ok. I know
> when I'm up in the arrowhead (northeastern tip of Minnesota)
> snowshoeing or cross country skiing you can sometimes here
> snowmobiles but for me at least it feels like a way has been found
> to balance the interests and desires of a large group of people who
> want to spend time in the northwoods.
>
> Am thinking I'm missing something about the Yellowstone issue?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cynthia in Minnesota

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536