Re: Changing the Subject Line (was Forbes Quiet Places

Subject: Re: Changing the Subject Line (was Forbes Quiet Places
From: "John Tudor" jtudor2005
Date: Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:22 pm ((PDT))
> What problem(s) do you see with starting a new subject while
> including the parent string after a "(was..." clause ? Rob D.

The way I see it is this..A new subject is exactly that...A NEW SUBJECT...

If someone starts a thread, it's like starting a conversation. Imagine
the situation where a group of people are sitting in a coffee shop
having a chat about a movie. Someone else then joins the table and
without waiting for us to finish, starts talking over everyone about
their new car.

I think we'd be reasonably pissed off. I believe when a person starts
a thread, then that is the topic that they whish people to talk about.
Others SHOULD either join in on the subject of conversation, OR move
to another table and order their own coffee....

I think changing the subject line to 'Was...' is the same as saying
'yes, I know your talking about a movie, but have you seen my new
car....' In fact, your heading of 'Changing the subject line (Was
Forbes Quiet Places) is in fact wrong and this is exactly what I'm
talking about. The original post title was 'Small field recorder -
clean line input'

I've seen other forums turn into an all out flame war when someone
hijacks a thread. I don't think it would turn into that here, but I do
think it's kind of inconsiderate to the original poster. And as Martyn
pointed out in a thread I started on this subject the other day..'it
basically comes down to laziness...

If there is anymore discussion needed on this, we should stop using
this thread, and start a new one. (Or use the one I started the other
day..

Regards
John

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: