Re: 1 bit recording

Subject: Re: 1 bit recording
From: "Kevin Colver" kjcolver
Date: Mon Sep 8, 2008 1:46 pm ((PDT))
Tim, Oryoki, Gianni, and Dan,

Thanks for the references and quick course on 1-bit recording!

My impression from the references were

Positives:
        Highest quality digital conversion from analog microphones
        (Probably) Future proof

Negatives:
        Patented and not widely available for recording or playback by public
        Very memory intensive for archival and use
        Files must be converted to more common formats for digital processing
        Quality of the sound not dramatically improved over current formats

This will be a format to keep an eye on.  In the mean time, good mic
placement and field-craft probably count more for a good nature
recording than going from excellent gear to super-excellent gear.

Thanks again,

Kevin