Re: Long Duration Recording, Monitoring & Storing

Subject: Re: Long Duration Recording, Monitoring & Storing
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:50 pm ((PDT))
At 11:41 PM +0000 8/27/08, oryoki2000 wrote:
>Rob D. wrote:
>
>>  I record in 16/48K with an application
>>  called Amadeus Pro...8-12 hour sound file...
>
>What file format do you use to capture these lengthy recordings?
>Recording two channels at 16/48 uses up about 660 MB of file
>storage per hour. WAV and AIFF have 2GB file size limits
>in Amadeus Pro, so you'd reach that limit in about 3 hours.

Hi Oryoki--
Sorry. I did not explain that part very thoroughly. One could set
Amadeus Pro to record directly in the .flac format. Personally, I set
Amadeus Pro to create  16 bit/48K AIFF files on the hard drive.  To
get around the 2GB limit, Amadeus automatically creates sequentially
named, 1.99 GB files. This results in 2-4 separate files per night
depending on the duration. Upon completion, the program provides the
option to link these files into one, virtual, "master" file that one
can view, play and export from like any sound file. I take a
screenshot of this file's waveform overview showing the whole night.
However, instead of having to manage and store 4-8GB of AIFF sound
files as you point out, one can save a (lossless) .flac file from the
linked "master" file and the .flac file is only 1.7 to 3 GB in size--
small enough to burn to one DVD-R.

When you want to access the original recordings at a later date,
Amadeus will expand the .flac file into the same, linked, "master"
display it was created from. (Of course, you'll need some available
hard drive space for the large file). The expansion process doesn't
take long; my 2004 model Mac G5 requires 16 minutes to expand an 8
hour recording.  This gives me the whole night's recording with
identical quality to the original 16 bit/48K AIFF. These large, AIFF
files can be tossed after the disc with the .flac copy is verified.
Flac is a free application in the public domain so it should be
around for a while.

>My head is spinning thinking about color 3D graphical
>representations of a season's worth of nightly waveform
>overviews!

That would be a fun project. Amadeus Pro has pretty good analytical
tools. It probably would process a sonogram for the large, linked,
file, but it might take a while. Recording with a computer has other
benefits like being able to route monitoring through plugins. I use
real time analysis plugs including sonograms to see HF sounds that I
can't hear and also EQ in the monitoring chain to lessen the volume
of fatiguing sounds like the penetrating "drill" of insects.  If your
computer is fast enough with enough RAM, such "downstream" real time
effects processing can be done with another audio app like Logic, Pro
Tools, Audacity, Peak or Audition without affecting the recording
that is being made.   Rob D.