Re: sequoia groves recording August 8-10

Subject: Re: sequoia groves recording August 8-10
From: "Romilly Hambling" oldgreybird
Date: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:21 pm ((PDT))
--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> Sharon Perry and I did our second Yosemite sequoia groves expedition
> August 8-10. ... To be continued.
> -Dan Dugan

Nice to resurface on the list and find Dan writing about recording
adventures out in the wild again -- AND at night. I look forward to
hearing samples from that 4 channel 3032 setup.

Dan, run the thing all night, turn in and get some proper sleep! Do I
know what it's like "sleeping" with headphones on and a finger on the
pause button. Then you get a good day, and back home you go through
the files knowing you've missed absolutely nothing. Well, yes, it
takes time, but what a lot there can be -- some of which would never
wake you up or . . sort of heck, it's 3.37 am and can I really be
bothered with this 57th possible false alarm.

Most I excerpt, but one or two I keep as they're so magical. All those
tiny noises, things dropping (as Dan says), and oh so mysterious
visitors to the mics. Can be quite creepy sometimes.

I was forced into this (leaving equipment running while getting some
sleep) because the dreadful piece of tinny plastic I'm currently using
has all of a two-second buffer. All but useless unless you're prepared
to turn yourself into a nervous wreck with arm cramp! So I just left
it running. Still haven't been through all the files!!

As to jets, etc, I'm now resigned to Sats and Suns, tho jet traffic
can start up un Sun in anticipation of Mon I find. Oddly some weekdays
are passable, but you have to get to know which. I've no idea why they
should vary. Round us the night to avoid is Monday -- invariably awful.

On another note, I'm fairly sure digifish got his 3032s at least
partly because he heard my samples. I got my 3032s (now 2 pairs)
entirely because of this list, especially of course Eric Benjamin's
report. Use'm all the time. Now many are wailing because they're
unobtainable. tee-hee.

Three cheers for nature recordists, night recordists and 3032s!

romilly