Re: Habitat destruction/Habitat restoration

Subject: Re: Habitat destruction/Habitat restoration
From: "davem98607" davem98607
Date: Tue Aug 5, 2008 6:01 pm ((PDT))
Thanks Martyn for the stark documentation of habitat loss such as
this.

I am fortunate to be involved in the (relatively rare) opposite
process - habitat restoration.

I live in Southwest Washington state, six miles from a fairly new
USFWS refuge (Steigerwald Lake National Wildlife Refuge).  The
refuge land was previously used for farming and ranching.  It is
about 1,000 acres, most of which is former floodplain from the
Columbia river - see
http://www.fws.gov/pacific/planning/main/docs/WA/cgorge/final%
20ccp/3a%20Figure3-1.pdf and http://www.google.com/maps?
hl=en&q=&ie=UTF8&z=14&ll=45.563403,-
Message: 122.
Subject: 294912&spn=0.047953,0.068665&t=h&om=1

I regularly lead volunteer groups doing habitat restoration projects
on the refuge, and am also on the board of a "friends of the refuge"
group.  The restoration projects include planting native plants and
trees, building brush pile habitats, removing non-native invasive
plants, etc.  You can read more about what we do here:
http://www.refugestewards.org

Some questions for the group:
Message: 1.