Red Crossbill types

Subject: Red Crossbill types
From: "Nathan Pieplow" npieplow
Date: Mon Aug 4, 2008 8:18 am ((PDT))
Kevin et al.,

You can find descriptions of the crossbill types online at Jeff
Groth's old page:

research.amnh.org/ornithology/crossbills/

I have been meaning to post a much more extensive crossbill type ID
site, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  I do have a useful
reference for anyone who would like it: I photocopied all the
sonograms from Groth's crossbill monograph and rearranged them by
type (in the original, they were arranged by geographic
location).  The result is a series of .jpg files that provide a quick
reference to the level of variation within each call type.

Contact me off list if you would like a copy of these files.  If I
get a decent response, maybe I'll be motivated to create that webpage at last.

Nathan Pieplow
Boulder, Colorado