IP protection (was:Re: Wave/Adobe/Peak)

Subject: IP protection (was:Re: Wave/Adobe/Peak)
From: "David Kuhn" dkuhn012001
Date: Sun Aug 3, 2008 2:56 pm ((PDT))
An issue that is often on my mind--protecting IP (that is, in
legalese, "Intellectual Property") from un-authorized and
uncompensated use. Indeed there is much time and expense involved in
collecting the raw material for this work that we love--sharing it,
raising awareness of what is out there in the natural world. So far
the only kind of protection is somehow "watermarking" audio files.
One idea mentioned recently, by Martyn I think, is to mix in a high
freq tone inaudible to humans but spectrally visible. In reality the
only "protection" this kind of watermarking affords is something to
stand on in a lawsuit (ugh).
Then I come to thinking that mine is a niggling complaint, that the
rewards far outweigh the injuries from the sometimes absurdly brazen
mis-use of my work.
As it happens I am consulting an IP attorney of my acquaintance this
week, I'll pass on anything I learn that is useful.

Aloha from Kaua`i,
David

--- In  "Martyn Stewart" <>