Hello (questions about parabolic mic for recording monkey vocalizat

Subject: Hello (questions about parabolic mic for recording monkey vocalizat
From: "DB" dbiinsc
Date: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:33 pm ((PDT))
Hello,

I am a complete novice at recording, and am hoping to learn a lot
very quickly.  I am a 37 year old male named Derrick working on a
masters degree in biology.  I did my research on the effects of
prescribed burning on bird populations over time, and am going to
start writing my thesis in the fall.  My girlfriend is also working
on her masters and is currently doing research on saki monkeys in the
jungles of Peru.  I will be going to join her in 2 weeks.  She has
expressed an interest in recording the vocalizations of the monkeys,
and I am planning on constructing a parabolic microphone and using a
sony voice recorder to record the vocalizations.  I have a very
limited budget, and have ordered a umbrella hat to construct the
parabola with, and a lavalier tie clip microphone.  The sony recorder
I am planning on using has the folling specifications listed below.
Any advice would be appreciated.  One problem I see with this is not
being able to listen via headphones as I am recording to make sure I
am getting what I want.  Thanks in advance for any help.  Derrick

Features and Benefits
Sony ICDB300 - 64MB Digital Voice Recorder

----------

The thin and stylish ICDB300 Digital Voice Recorder is great for
digital recording on the go. Whether you're at school, in a meeting
or on the road, this high capacity voice recorder will be a handy
companion. With a 64MB Flash Memory IC chip and up to 37 hours of
Recording Time in LP Mode, you can rest assured knowing your digital
voice recorder will be ready when you are. Convenient features such
as the LCD display for showing recording data and 250mW speaker
output make seeing data and listening to audio a breeze.
Features

Compact Slim Design: A slim design means it is easier then ever to
have a recorder on hand to capture the next great idea

Up to 37 Hours of Recording Time in LP Mode Available on the
integrated circuit chip which may be recorded over and used again.

Digital VOR (Voice Operated Recording): Stops the recording during
silent pauses, saving valuable recording time, then begins recording
again without missing a single syllable thanks to the digital buffer.

64MB Flash Memory: Uses a high capacity IC chip, which may be
recorded over and used again and again, with distortion-free clarity.

Easy-to-Read LCD Display Shows number of messages recorded, recording
length, date, time, and battery power remaining.

250mW Speaker Output: Provides increased speaker output.

----------

Specifications
Product Features
Up to 37 hours recording time (LP Mode) 4 Folders Digital VOR Large
LCD display
Technical Details
Model: ICDB300 Item Package Quantity: 1 Hardware Platform: PC Device
Type: Voice recorder Recording Media: Flash memory Memory Capacity:
64 MB Folders: 4 (up to 396 messages) Recording Modes: HQ, SP, LP
Recording Time: 37 hours Inputs/Outputs: 1 Microphone input, 1
Headphone output (mini) Speaker: 0.79 inches (2 cm) Speaker Output:
250 mW Power Requirements: DC 3V with "AAA" x 2 battery Battery Life:
(Approx.) Up to 22 hours recording, up to 13 hours 10 minutes
playback Color: Silver Width: 1.36 inches Depth: 0.7 inches Height:
Message: 4.
Subject: 31 inches Weight: 2.1 ounces