Re: Critters ID-North Central Minnesota

Subject: Re: Critters ID-North Central Minnesota
From: "William Ruscher Jr." immonacan99
Date: Wed Jul 9, 2008 11:52 am ((PDT))
Hi John and Curt,

                 I didn't consider the trill to be a Dark-eyed Junco on
my first listen to the recording, as the trill didn't sound "ticky"
enough.  John's post made me listen again. I agree with him on the
sound. The trilling of Pine Warbler, and DE Junco are often confused
(by me anyway), not to mention the also similar sounding Worm-eating
Warbler and Chipping Sparrow. Pine Warbler trills would be from the
upper canopy and probably sound a bit faster , while DE Junco would be
more ground dwelling. If in the field, I would need to find the distant
calling Thrush to be sure , but Hermit (as John is leaning toward) is
very probable. I do believe I missed the Grosbeak completely !
Always fun to listen and learn.

Regards,

        Bill

--- In  Neville Recording
<> wrote:

> Hi Curt
> The songs I could hear clearly in the Chippewa National Forest were
the slow trill of a Dark-eyed Junco, the "teacher-teacher-teacher"
calls of two Ovenbirds (one close and one much further away) and the
whistled phrases of a Rose-breasted Grosbeak starting at about 7min.
More distantly the flutey song of a Hermit Thrush. I am about 70% sure
its a Hermit. My other preference would be a Wood Thrush (30%).