Re: Using a compact recorder + preamp together (was Olympus LS-10 r

Subject: Re: Using a compact recorder + preamp together (was Olympus LS-10 r
From: "Philip Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:13 am ((PDT))
>From my own personal experience I use a MZRH1 and,=C2=A0due to a very lucky=
 purchase, a=C2=A0Sound Devices MixPre in a CS3 case and I have to say I fi=
nd it very easy to use.
I set the MZRH1 up such that it's headphone out is set as line-out and I fe=
ed this back into the MixPre on the tape return. I spent a bit of time adju=
sting the tape return levels on the Mix Pre so that the system=C2=A0is at u=
nity gain.
In the field the MZRH1 sits in the front pocket of the CS3 bag with the cab=
les passing out through the zipped opening at the bottom. In the field I ca=
n usually leave the MixPre set as there is usually an optimum 'level' to se=
t the microphone=C2=A0gain at and then with the MixPre switched to tape ret=
urn and the MZRH1 in pause record I am ready to record. The beauty of the M=
ZRH1 is that it remembers all the settings so unlike the MZ900H and similar=
 models once you have selected manual record gain and set the headphone-out=
 as line-out and set a record level=C2=A0that is how it stays.
With the CS3 slung over my shoulder and a pair of binoculars around my neck=
 I have a very mobile setup. The Mic's can be hand held or if I am not usin=
g them I can hang them off one of the many points on the CS3 case. There is=
 in fact enough room in the front pocket of the CS3 case to take a zipped d=
ouble sided padded case with=C2=A0the MZRH1 plugged up and ready to go in o=
ne side and=C2=A0an MZ900H, standby machine, in the other. Plus plenty of r=
oom for a couple of spare batteries for each device and spare mini-disks.
For an even lighter load I can just carry the MZRH1 or MZ900H and a couple =
of K6/ME66's, or a pair of AT3032's using, a soon to be finished,=C2=A0home=
 made battery phantom power unit.

I can see the attractiveness of such devices=C2=A0of the LS10 to people as =
a neat point and shoot device which would also lend itself to being used wi=
th a quality microphone pre-amp feeding its line input. If its line-input i=
s up to the job, and there is no reason why it shouldn't be, coupled with a=
 decent mic-pre they should get very good results. But they also have the f=
lexibility of just stuffing the LS10 in the pocket and have it to hand whil=
e out and about in the field but not wanting to carry a full setup. Not som=
ething a Fostex FR2 LE would really lend itself to.
The LS10, and the slightly more expensive but=C2=A0possibly better spec'd=
=C2=A0Sony PCM D50, would seem to open up a whole new=C2=A0world of conveni=
ence for some people.
Phil