Re: flight patterns

Subject: Re: flight patterns
From: "Kevin Colver" kjcolver
Date: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:34 pm ((PDT))
Actually, one of the west Utah desert areas is often off limits to
commercial aircraft.  Earlier this spring I was on a special permit
to record all night at Fish Springs NWR just south of the military
flight area.  I was awaiting some sounds and lying on my back looking
at the stars.  There was a faint haze of a cloud in the air.
Suddenly I was startled at a close group of 4 red lights that
appeared from nowhere directly above me and seemed to be moving
closer.  Then, just as suddenly they faded into the mist and
disappeared.  A bit unnerved, and anticipating alien abduction, I
finally realized that these were flares dropped by some fighter jets
that had come through and passed several seconds before their sounds
followed.  High above, a single light that looked like a satellite,
hovered and moved around like a nervous star.  I wondered if it was a
high flying surveillance craft and wondered if it had the night
vision optics to be looking right at me all alone out in that desert
marsh.  Felt kind of creepy but it was interesting.  After a couple
of hours of dog fight practice the fighter jets left me in peace for
the rest of the night.  Got some great sounds after that.

Kevin