Re: Reed Fen Microphone test.

Subject: Re: Reed Fen Microphone test.
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:51 am ((PDT))
--- In  "Phil Tyler"
<> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have uploaded a file called 'Reed Fen', this was recorded using a new
> microphone configuration I thought I would try out. The file has been
> filtered to remove some of the planes and cars that were around.
> Although I had set out early to avoid the worst of the 'noise', by the
> time I made this recording planes were a common feature as were the
> road traffic, I hope they don't intrude too much?
>
> Anyway it would be interesting to know what members think. I hope I
> haven't over done the EQ?
>
> Phil

Hi Phil--

I'm more confident listening to the original when evaluatng subtle
qualities like stereo imaging.

In headphones, the sense of elevation ("up") in the center is very
nice. I can't tell, without knowing the situation, how much sound
should be coming from the center but is seems the center imaging is a
tad lower-- but that can be preferable for speaker monitoring--
depending on your tastes,

Although it can seem counter-intuitive, when there is a man-made sound
coming from one direction, I tend to orient the rig so that source is
in the center of the stereo field (whether facing towards or away from
the sound). "Centering" tends to reduce left-right
discrimination which usually increases one's awareness of a sound
element.

If there's a massive object in the location such as a large
tree, rock or earth form, try placing the mic array so the mass
absorbs some of the energy from the unwanted source. Rob D.