Re: Condenser mics and extreme cold...

Subject: Re: Condenser mics and extreme cold...
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Fri Jun 6, 2008 10:22 am ((PDT))
--- In  Curt Olson <> wrote:

> ...maybe pack along a pair of dynamic mics for deep backup.

Consider a pair of ElectroVoice RE50s for this application. Initially
designed for handheld interview work and similar ENG applications,
they're dynamic omnis with very good internal shock mounting and wind
protection:

http://www.electrovoice.com/products/105.html

Pioneering field recordist David Lewiston recommended them to me some
time ago. He's been using them outdoors in the cold of the Himalaya
and the humidity of the tropics for decades. I've yet to try them
myself, but they're on my shopping list.

I recently took a pair of AudioTechnica's AT804 dynamic omnis to
Borneo, as a backup in case my condensers failed in the humidity. I
can't comment on their effectiveness because I didn't need to use
them, but they're cheaper than the RE50s and have twice the quoted
sensitivity (1.8mV/Pa vs. 3.5mV/Pa). I suspect, however, that the
RE50 has superior internal shock mounting and wind protection.