Sierra Raven (was crows talking)

Subject: Sierra Raven (was crows talking)
From: "David Kuhn" dkuhn012001
Date: Sat May 31, 2008 4:25 pm ((PDT))
Last summer in California I had been stalking Corvids (Clarks Nutcracker,
Raven) most of the day
to fill in some gaps in a High Sierra Soundscape I've been working on, finding
myself in Yosemite
Valley mid-afternoon, upstream from Mirror Lake.

I see this solitary Raven coming upstream before it calls, and follow it with
Telinga as it passes
but not aiming directly at it except just as it passes. You hear it calling
downstream, then heavy
wingbeats, then calling upstream to the right. A few minutes later I'm beckoned
in that direction
by these very strange sounds, and confirmed that indeed the Raven was the
source. Meanwhile, and
for another half hour, a Grey Squirrel scolds me and, I suppose, the Raven.

Lots of wind typical of Sierra afternoons, difficult to filter out without
losing some Raven. No
EQ, but I did clip out some handling noise.

http://soundshawaiian.com/mp3/Raven.mp3

Aloha,
David

David Kuhn