1. Re: Unhappy unsubscriber

From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Thu May 29, 2008 1:35 pm ((PDT))
Posted by: "Jim Lee"  wranch2000

> My $0.02 is that I really hate to see this wonderful group splintered.
> This is a huge disappointment to me too. I wish the idea had been
> floated to the group for comment before creation of the new group became=

> a fait accompli under the direction of our moderator. Such a discussion
> might have yielded a different approach.

I was a founding member of naturerecordists, just about the only one
left now who still posts much. And the group is low on my priority list
now. Just a few comments:

The group had already splintered. It's just that many of the very top
notch nature recordists gave up on the group as it is now and no longer
post and may have dropped their membership. Those remaining do not
represent all types of members of this group anymore.  There is already
a loose knit group of ex naturerecordist members who correspond mostly
by email. So I welcome a chance to try again with a new group. Though it
was a surprise occurance to me.

As far as those saying this is a place for beginners to be helped, I
used to help lots of beginners on this group but was driven from doing
so by all the folks who would turn a beginners help session into a
highly technical discussion of little or no use to the original
beginner. It got to where there was little point in responding, so I
rarely do now. And my first thought when I think about responding is how
is this going to be messed up by the tech folk, or what will I get
harassed about now? When my first thought used to be how can I help this
person.  I like to help beginners, but won't do it on a regular basis in
naturerecordists as it now runs.

Read the posts by beginners themselves,  how many don't dare post their
recordings to be listened to?  Out of fear of not using the "right"
equipment, not being good enough. Or just not wanting their recording
torn apart technically?

I do both nature recording (audio) and nature recording (photography),
in fact this year it's been more photography and less audio. The only
good point about this group is it's not as bad as the photography
groups. Though the arguments by the technical folks about how their
interest should be primary sound awfully familiar from similar arguments
by similar people in photography groups.

As far as Dan's requirement of having MKH and being published I qualify
on both points.  And my nature photography is in published works too.
But that's a silly requirement.

There is already another group "phonography" that splintered off this
group, primarily as they did not want to limit themselves to
naturerecording, but also because they were not oriented to technical
discussions. That group is quite successful (I'm a member of it too),
and does not find a need for much technical discussion, though they do
not prohibit it. Their technical discussions get the job done quickly so
they can get back to their real interest, creating recordings.

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)