Re: A story in sound: PNG

Subject: Re: A story in sound: PNG
From: "Suzanne Williams" scw1217
Date: Wed May 28, 2008 12:16 pm ((PDT))
Enjoyed both of the recordings, esp. the frogs.  Something about frog
recordings that I always particularly like!  Also glad to hear you
made it out okay!

Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/swilli41/www
Florida, USA

--- In  Martyn Stewart <>
wrote:

> So here we have a segment from Papua New Guinea. I was in PNG back
in
> the early 80's and wow has the place changed. Many scars in the
> rainforest with mining a big thing now. Various tribesmen now wear
> Jeans and Baseball caps carrying guns. I was actually shot at
(well,
> the gun was shot over the top of my head) and robbed of $10 ASD. I
> have never been one for warnings from governmental websites but
this
> is a place you have to have extreme caution. May I also say that
there
> are some incredible people there, very hospitable and
accommodating.
> Just keep out of the East highlands areas. It was the rainy season
> too, 1 1/2 feet of rain in 4 days dropped out of the skies making
much
> of my recordings and traveling redundant. I did discover 5 new bird
of
> paradise and got some very nice audio. PNG is a place dreams are
made
> of, some of the most pristine habitat on earth.
> Here is a short soundscape to wet your whistle. I would go back
there
> in a heartbeat..
>
> http://naturesound.org/World_Bird_&_Animal_Sounds_files/Sounds%20of%
Message: 20PNG.
Subject: mp3

> Some of the birds I recorded there included the following:
>
> Orange-breasted & Double-eyed Fig-Parrot, Red-cheeked Parrot,
Eclectus
> Parrot, Red-flanked Lorikeet, Chestnut-breasted Cuckoo, Papuan
> Needletail, Yellow-billed Kingfisher, Blyth's Hornbill, Long-
billed
> Honeyeater, Spot-breasted Meliphaga, New Guinea Friarbird, Rusty
> Pitohui, New Guinea Babbler, Spot-winged & Frilled Monarch, Grey
Crow,
> Glossy-mantled Manucode, Magnificent Riflebird, Greater Bird-of-
> paradise, King Bird-of-paradise, Lowland Peltops, Black
Butcherbird,