Re: Brown-headed Cowbird Theme and Variations

Subject: Re: Brown-headed Cowbird Theme and Variations
From: "David Ellsworth" davidells
Date: Sun May 18, 2008 11:27 am ((PDT))
That's an excellent recording, Doug!  I've always
admired their song but never heard it so clearly.

I think our cowbirds here (Los Angeles County)
sound exactly the same. But I've never listened
to a cowbird song slowed down before. I tried
half-speed, and he sounds like a bongo drum in
those throaty preludes-to-whistles! The whistles
are interesting too =97 some of them are "three
syllables" when slowed down. I was interested to
hear how the throaty preludes are not all the
same (and I'm using "prelude" loosely =97 not all
of them are followed by a whistle, of course).

A search on http://animalbehaviorarchive.org/
brings up some definite variations. Of course, to
slow those down you'll need to rerecord them
through "Stereo Mix" (or whatever your sound
driver calls it) or use Virtual Audio Cable or something like it.

David