[gear] Edirol R-44 four channel recorder MP3s

Subject: [gear] Edirol R-44 four channel recorder MP3s
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Wed May 14, 2008 4:49 am ((PDT))
While the R-44, the new four channel recorder from Edirol, has not
been released in USA, it has arrived in Australia.  A fellow using the
name "Ozpeter" on the Tapers Section forums has posted links to two
MP3 files that provide insight into the quality of the R-44's preamps.

The first MP3 is inspired by Rob D.'s "ticking clock" examples.  The
second is from a recording studio.  I believe the mics used are
Sennheiser MKH 30 and 40 in a mid-side pair.

First, Ozpeter's report about the recording of the ticking clock:

"What this test does is to attempt to show R-44 preamp noise, or lack
of, at full preamp gain.  I used the Sennheiser MKH mics as it seems
to be logical to use low noise mics for such a test.  [The recording
is of] a tiny clock about 2 inches from the mics, in a quiet suburban
bedroom during the day."

Link to file:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/22/1451533/R-44%20test.mp3
or http://tinyurl.com/4fb99o

"The first 20 seconds has the R-44 preamp gain set to -2dB - almost
the minimum.  It's fed from a Sennheiser preamp with its gain knob set
pretty high.

The next 20 seconds is with the mics connected to the R-44 direct and
with the preamp gain at its highest level.  This bit was with the R-44