Re: Mic recommendations - Rode NTG-2?

Subject: Re: Mic recommendations - Rode NTG-2?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:55 pm ((PDT))
At 7:45 PM -0500 4/29/08, Drew Panko wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Thanks to the advice of several members of this group I've got an excellen=
>field recording outfit. I'm using a Sony D-50 with a Telinga and I am very
>satisfied with the results.
>
>I am also impressed with the built-in mics of the D-50, they're good, but
>they're not adequate for recording bird song in most situations.
>
>I want to buy an easy to carry mic to use with the D-50 on long treks when
>I do not want to lug the Telinga along and one which will improve the
>performance over that with the built in mics.
>
>I would be satisfied with mono recording. I'm considering a shotgun mic
>for the easy carry outfit. Would the Rode NTG-2 be a good choice (what is
>their noise floor)? Or the Rode NT-1A? Or one of the
>Sennheisers? Which? Any other recommendations? My priorities are low
>self noise, low handling sensitivity, durability & ruggedness, and, of
>course, reasonable price (I'm thinking $500 or so). Rejection of noise
>from the sides & behind would be a bonus. And, of course it must work with
>the Sony D-50.
>
>=85..Ok, ok, I'm asking a lot.
>
>Drew

Hi Drew--
The D50 does not supply phantom powering. Unless
you purchase a portable phantom power supply
which will increase the profile of your rig, this
refines your search to a self-powered  shotgun
mic with low self-noise.

One way to search mic options using manufacturer
specifications is to download this .xls
spreadsheet
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/MicSpecCharts/Mics_16dBA.xls
and sort the list of low-noise mics by the most
unique requirement, in this case, by "Power."  If
you can't open the spreadsheet, here's the list
on-line:
http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/MicSpecCharts/Mics_16dBA.htm

I see only two mics that fit your criteria:

Sennheiser K6/ME66      10 dB(A)        50 mV/Pa
        H (super-cardioid/lobar)        P48 or
Battery
SennheiserK6/ME67       10 dB(A)        50 mV/Pa
        H (lobar, long gun)             P48 or
Battery

The Rode, NTG-2, with 18 dB(A)  self noise, is
slightly noisier than the 16 dB(A) value I chose
as the maximum rating to include on this list of
low-noise mics.=A0

It can also be useful to search the model
number(s) of gear you are considering through the
list archive to see what people have written
about them: http://tinyurl.com/5uo2ul Feel free
to get back to the list with more questions. Rob
D.