Re: FR2-LE mic trim (again)

Subject: Re: FR2-LE mic trim (again)
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:20 am ((PDT))
At 2:48 PM +0100 4/27/08, James Huckle wrote:
>Hi All
>
>I appreciate this subject has gone around for a while now. My unit
>arrived on Friday and I've been researching what the mic trim does,
>generating tests tones to set mics etc.
>
>The missing piece of information I need is does the mic trim setting
>apply for given mic for *any* recording?

Yes, except for rare, loud sounds and settings. ;-)

Assuming the output levels of your stereo mics are matched to within
a decibel, for most quieter, natural environments and sounds, turn
the trim knobs fully-clockwise. This removes all "trim" from the mic
preamp circuit.

One way to tell if the output levels of your mics are well-matched is
to turn the trim knobs fully clockwise, place the mics side by side
in a quiet setting, raise the master record level while listening
with a good pair of stereo headphones.  As you raise the master
record level, the background "presence" (usually a dirty low
frequency "rumble")  should increase in both ears at the same rate.
If one side fades in sooner (louder), that side may need trimming. If
the meter readings seem to show the same imbalance, go ahead and trim
the louder side until both sides fade in from "silence" at the same
rate. You can always adjust the stereo balance in post but sometimes
mic levels are so different its nice to match them more closely in
the field. Lower/trim just the louder side, not both.

>I.e. for a given mic will
>the same trim setting be used for quiet ambiance as well as loud or
>will I need to trim for each situation?

Its safest to use the trim knobs only when you cannot reduce the
master record level enough to get correct meter readings. Rob D.