Re: Audience playback

Subject: Re: Audience playback
From: "Steve Pelikan" pelikan45224
Date: Mon Apr 7, 2008 7:00 pm ((PDT))
What seems to be a solution to my problem is the loan of a USB audio
device (plays but doesn't record) that seems to work just like a sound
card. I ran its output through a Crown D-75A amp (found in a dumpster,
and only needed a new fuse) and cranked it up --- heard no noise.

So the idea of circumventing the laptop soundcard is a sound one! I'll
certainly consider PCMCIA devices if I can't convince my friend to
part with the USB thingy (a $30 item from Turtle Beach). It may not be
great, but it is available and sounds better than what I had.

> Not sure I'd resort to normalizing them all. You can adjust the
> playback level of each sound file individually in iTunes and even EQ
> for each. Wait to make the volume adjustments while playing back
> through your speaker system. Rob D.

I agree --- what I said was shorthand for "make sure that the levels
of the files to be played are appropriate (relative to each other) so
you don't have to fuss with playback levels while giving the talk...
Probably it is better to make individual adjustments in the playback
program but some of what I'll be doing is just sounds and pictures
linked an an html file and I won't have that control. I'll use better
tech/software next time around.

The first version of the talk went well and I do it for a bigger
audience tomorrow and Friday.

Thanks VERY, VERY MUCH again to everyone for help and advice ---
including such extreme help as Dave who offered to ship me an unused
"echo" PCMCIA device if it seemed like it'd solve my problems...

Cheers!

Steve P