Re: Audience playback

Subject: Re: Audience playback
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Apr 1, 2008 11:29 pm ((PDT))
At 9:56 PM -0700 4/1/08, Dan Dugan wrote:
>  >My current thought is to run the output from the laptop's audio card
>>into an amplifier and hook up two speakers (what I have are smallish,
>>cheap roughly 8x10" speakers about $100/pair) at the front of the room
>>and pointing to the back wall of the room at 45 degrees or so.
>>
>>I can use power point (actually the free OpenOffice version of the
>>program) to show pictures, text, sonograms and play back sounds as needed=
.

>>The whole thing has to be very portable (I carry it, set it up in 10
>>minutes).
>>
>>My question is how to get the best quality sound for the audience
>>given the equipment available or with small additional expense.
>
>That will work fine. The critical point will be whether the
>amp/speakers are loud enough for the size of the space.
>
>-Dan Dugan

Its very smart to bring your own set-up even if the host says they
have a good system. They rarely are.  To maximize output and lessen
muddiness, ask the organization to supply speaker stands or step
ladders or other means to get the speakers up away from the walls and
floor. Direct them towards the middle of the group. Get them as close
as practical. Its better to lose a bit of one side of the stereo
image than to induce excessive room resonance. Do not position
speakers with their backs to a wall in or near corners (as many fixed
speaker systems will be).  I have used two, small 5" self-amped
Tascam monitors to play sound in 200+ seat auditoriums successfully.
I roped off the back and sides to make people sit in front.

It doesn't work very well for one time presentations, but in classes
I've connected a $30 iPod FM transmitter to the second output of my
laptop (or small mixer). Most of these transmitters have 4-5 FM
frequencies to choose from. Some of the students brought portable
stereos and tuned in the playback on their headphones. This worked
especially well when I played their sound recordings which didn't
always have the best clarity and challenged the speakers. The
transmitter can also be connected to your stereo mic rig if you want
to go on a soundwalk with a group. If you want to supply radios, be
aware that some of the very cheap FM "stereo" receivers are actually
mono.  Rob D.