Re: Our friends in Broadcasting (was New To Field Recording

Subject: Re: Our friends in Broadcasting (was New To Field Recording
From: "umashankar" umashanks
Date: Tue Apr 1, 2008 5:34 pm ((PDT))
Many film sound recordists need to record low level signals, highly amplifi=
ed. we dont alwys get to record dialogue from three or four feet away!

in fact, my first experience recording bird song was for a documentary seri=
es. Almost forty years ago, i sat and hammered out a one meter aluminium di=
sh, mounted a sennheiser md 421 at its focus and recorded. one session with=
 an Uher portable recorder, and the other with nagra. The Uher recordings a=
ll had a hiss (except when i was recording the Sarus crane) and had to use =
a primitive analogue noise reduction system before i could use them. The Na=
gra recordings were a revelation. And the difference was entirely in the mi=
c pres.

Those days, one did not even touch a condensor microphone (except the 805) =
for low level work, as they were too noisy. Among the dynamics, one judged =
how quiet the recording would be by looking at how high the output was (the=
y are all roughly 200 ohms).the best two were the md 421 and the beyer m 88=
 - i still have both. unofortunately very few new recorders have enough gai=
n (alteast 20 db more than needed for condensors) to directly use dynamic m=
icrophones.

umashankar

i have published my poems. you can read (or buy) at http://stores.lulu.com/=
umashankar