Re: Reality Check on Audio-Technica 4073a Shotgun Mic

Subject: Re: Reality Check on Audio-Technica 4073a Shotgun Mic
From: "" supernielsen
Date: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:05 pm ((PDT))
The 4073 is a pretty popular film mic, not quite as popular as the Sennheiser
416 or Schoeps CMC series.

But, I would suggest that a part of your dissatisfaction is attempting to
record something like 'wind' in mono. Mono sounds in general don't give you
nearly the spacious feeling that a stereo
recording will. Gathering mono elements to mix into a sound 'scape' is one
thing, but a simple mono recording of rain, wind, isn't likely to sound great.
Even if you had another 4073, and used them
in XY, you would find a huge difference.

Also, in general a shotgun isn't really as useful for 'wide' field recording,
something like a background. by it's design, the interference tube 'does'
affect the sound, and can sometimes sound 'tube'y,
and unpleasant. But if dialog recorded in a quiet place is sounding that bad at
4 to 5 feet, then perhaps you do have a defective unit. The 4073 should
certainly be able to record that.

Also, and don't mean to imply you don't know what you're doing, but how well
are you aiming the mic at the subject? If you're recording dialog, you should
be aiming the mic at the upper chest of
the person you're trying to record, not at their mouth. And a shotgun mic is
going to very susceptible to 'off-mic' coloration. Aiming the mic off even by a
few degrees could have the effect that
you're hearing.

Can you post an example of a recording, some people here might be able to help
you more if we can hear what you're hearing.

Tim