Re: SongMeter for field monitoring

Subject: Re: SongMeter for field monitoring
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:15 pm ((PDT))
Thanks, folks for the various responses. Some fellas at Purdue asked
me about
it since they had just purchased a whole bunch of them.

Bernie

On Mar 21, 2008, at 7:47 PM, Martyn Stewart wrote:

> I used one in Papua New Guinea and north Queensland these last few
> days, it failed on me in the humidity of 98% (wettest rainy season too
> since 1974) For monitoring this is a great machine, the mic pre's are
> extremely noisy (i use one with its own built in mic) but i was able
> to monitor dawn chorus's and night time critters. determining where to
> leave my MS system. I was hoping to find various bird of paradise in
> and around PNG, i recorded over 30 hours of data in 3 days (for which
> I'm still going through) In queensland, the recorder failed on me and
> i could not start it until i dried it out with hairdryers but i got
> some great frog sounds which helped me determine where certain species
> where frequenting.
> I have a froglogger too for which i use a marantz recorder and my own
> mics but i have not tried the froglogger in tropical climates.
>
> Sounds to come :)
>
> Martyn
> *************************************
> Martyn Stewart
> http://www.naturesound.org
>
> Redmond. WA
> 425-898-0462
>
> Make every garden a wildlife habitat
> **************************************
> Listen to the Birds and the Bees at
> http://naturesound.libsyn.org/
> View a Nature Recordists Blog!
>
> http://naturesound.org/Nature_Blog/Nature_Blog.html

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-996-6677
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

Google Earth zooms: Earth.WildSanctuary.com

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: