Re: one night by a lake

Subject: Re: one night by a lake
From: "Suzanne Williams" scw1217
Date: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:53 am ((PDT))
Fantastic story, Abhijit. I felt like I was there. I appreciate you
sharing your fears as well. I think listening is a practiced skill.
Often I will close my eyes and see just what I can hear. It's amazing
what gets ignored in just casual listening.  Really well written
piece which I am going to save so I can read it again!

----------------------
Suzanne
Suzanne Williams Photography
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/swilli41/www
Florida, USA

--- In  Abhijit Menon-Sen <>
wrote:

> [...]
aware
> of more and more hitherto unnoticed sounds.
>
> The forest around me was filled with the sounds of twigs snapping
and
> leaves settling. An occasional gust of wind would touch the
clearing,
> making the fly sheet rattle, blowing a few leaves around, making the
> trees whisper. If I strained my hearing, I fancied I could hear the
> lake's edge lapping at some stone steps on the bank. I heard some
thin,
> Minivet-like whistles, but they stopped quickly, and were not
repeated.
> I could hear small animals (squirrels?) moving about in the forest
and
> scampering away after being frightened by something I couldn't
hear. A
> few times, I heard something scrabbling and scratching in the leaf
> litter on the hillside (Pheasants? But at night?).
>
> Some distant Red-Wattled Lapwings (Vanellus indicus) -- unexpected,
but
> unmistakable, with their panicked "Did heee do it?" calls -- took
alarm
> at something and took off in their wheeling flight, as they tend to
do
> at the slightest excuse. A flock of Slaty-Headed Parakeets
(Psittacula
> himalayana), disturbed in their sleep, called a few times to make
sure
> everything was all right (toooi?), and then settled down again.
>
> Suddenly, very close by, I heard a flock of Geese in flight, with
their
> loud, haunting, discordant cacophony of honking drowning out
everything
> else. I hadn't expected to encounter any Geese in the mountains,
and I
> was comforted by the familiarity of the sound. I heard the flock
start
> down the hill and fly over my camp site, and land in the lake with
an
> occasional honk and many quiet splashes.
>
> Not far away, a Mountain Scops Owls (Otus spilocephalus) started up
its
> measured, monotonous "pink pink" call, a sound that was repeated
through
> the night by different individuals, sometimes without pause for
half an
> hour or more. I'd spotted an Asian Barred Owlet (Glaucidium
cuculoides)
> sitting in a bare tree while looking for a camp site; and now and
then,
> one of them would pipe up with a quavering "oop-op-op-op-op", then
fall
> silent again. I also heard a deep Bubo-like "hoo-hoo" call a few
times,
> but I don't know what it was.
>
> Another intriguing call that I could not identify was an
accelerating
> series of "hoo"s, starting with widely spaced notes and ending with
> Dove-like crooning rattle: "Hoo [pause] hoo [shorter pause] hoo
[short
> pause] ho... ho-ho-h-h-h" (Imagine dropping a marble on the floor
from
> a height. This call fit that pattern in its execution). There
seemed to
> be only one individual, and it repeated this call several times,
with
> pauses, at around 2200, but much less frequently later at night.
>
> One sound that featured in my recording only by its absence,
thankfully,
> was the rasping cough of a Leopard. I've never heard one before,
but by
> all accounts, I would have been able to recognise it... I certainly
was
> paying attention! But if a Leopard came to drink at the lake that
night
> (as I'd been told they often do), it arrived and departed in
silence.

> But there were plenty of sounds to keep me guessing. I could hear
grunts
> and sighs from the forest, Langurs coughing, an occasional Barking
Deer